Friday, June 13, 2008

Niagara Falls

Our trip to New York also included a visit to Niagara Falls & surrounding funness. Here are some pictures that can only hope to convey the magnificence! In efforts to do so, there are about twice as many pictures as in the Palmyra post. You may need more than one sitting to get through it.

Mama & Woody present 20 Tartan Lane! (They used to live here. Well, not Woody. He wasn't born yet.)






Whirlpool of Death! I was not convinced of its power at this point. I think "tame" was the exact adjective I used. Apparently, it eats large trees for breakfast & spits them out weeks later.





Overlook of the beautiful Niagara River as it exits the gorge. This is a pretty typical Daddy face, by the way. So mischievous!






Sunset over Lake Ontario. It was quite the event! ;-) What you can't see is the .2 degree wind that was whipping off that lake like there was no tomorrow. Mama braved it to get this shot.








View across the mouth of the Niagara River to Fort Niagara. This was taken in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, my future home. No joke.





Woody presents Niagara Falls! Daddy got the Woody idea from the gnome in Amelie.






Oh my goodness there's a waterfall behind me! In case you were wondering, I was really there.






American Falls. These next few pictures are from Mama & Daddy & Ben's trip a year or so ago. The water is so much bluer than it looks here!





Horseshoe (Canadian) Falls. Over the last 10,000 years, the waterfall created the gorge & continues to erode a foot a year! Note the mist. It's some serious mist.





The brink. Ridiculous amounts of water plunge over the edge every second. I was mesmerized!






Maid of the Mist. This almost does the experience justice. But not quite. It's pretty intense!






I love my cone-headed mother! She's gonna kill me for this...







...and I'm just gonna press my luck a little further! Mama & me on the Maid of the Mist. She's enjoying the spray.






Daddy & me on the boat. I'm an equal-opportunity parental embarrasser!







I'd like to draw your attention to the "No Smoking" sign. Really, I think if you managed to light a cigarette on that deck then you should be allowed to smoke it. But that's probably just me. This is the Cave of the Winds deck below American Falls. I saw a commercial for Thompson's WaterSeal the other day & learned that apparently this deck is protected by the same! Whoever came up with that idea deserves a "Goodonya" for sure!


Mama on the Jet Boat. Notice it's the domed version because getting drenched in 40 degree water just isn't our style. And it was still way fun!






It was quite loud. The tour guide lady was talking inside our heads via the headphones. What I couldn't understand is why she kept asking us questions when we didn't have microphones. How were we supposed to respond? Not sure. Daddy said we looked more like aviators than jet boaters. I agree.



Whirlpool up close & personal. You can't really see the hole to the left that it's coming out of, but that wave is like 15 feet high! I now understand why it's seriously illegal to run this rapid. To the tune of a $100,000 fine!




My lovely parents. Thanks for an amazing trip!

1 comment:

Justin and Lindsay Wilkin said...

Wow, looks like so much fun! I am so glad that you had such a great trip with your parents. That is so awesome that you were able to get away after you finished you
1st year of med. school Yahoo! ;) One down 3 more to go. Goodluck, you can do it!